From the March Newsletter:
Chocolate (cocoa) is a gift from the Gods. The taste, smell and texture are special, I always keep it in the top pocket of my rucksack in case of emergencies. But is there any proof that it’s good for you? Well, according to the boffins, eating dark chocolate can decrease the risk of heart attack,
stroke and diabetes and it produces a chemical reaction that makes us feel good. My experience is that chocolate
cheers people up, it gives them energy, motivates them to keep going up the hill. It was a treat for our ancestors, as it is now, and it’s always been part of my first aid kit.
Chocolate hazelnut recipe
Ingredients. Serves: 12
- 150ml evaporated milk
- 200g sugar
- pinch of salt
- 80g halved hazelnuts
- 300g plain chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
Prep:10min › Cook:5min › Extra time:2hr chilling › Ready in:2hr15min
- Generously grease an 20cm (8 in) square cake tin.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. Stir in the evaporated milk and sugar. Bring to boil over a medium heat, stir constantly. Simmer the mixture gently, continuing to stir for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the halved hazelnuts, chocolate chips. Stir until the chocolate chips have completely melted.
- Quickly pour the fudge mixture into the prepared tin and spread it out evenly, using a palette knife. Chill until firm and cut into squares. Store in an airtight container, separating the layers with baking parchment.